My love for classical music

{ Friday, March 25, 2011 }
I have to admit, when I was a kid, I didn't like classical music at all. Whenever my parents took my brother and I to some concert, I always protested and prepared myself to be bored to death. But as I grew older, and my brother grew into electro music (which is more often than not a pain to my ears), I learned to appreciate it more and more. It's a real luxury for me to put on a piece of classical music in the morning, when I'm having my breakfast. It makes me feel so peaceful and in touch with the universe. I look outside of my window, and I see the birds and the sky (not much green going on in the city, I'm afraid), I get really touched by the beauty of it all, mashaAllah.
I also listen to it while I'm studying or doing an assignment, because it helps me to concentrate. 

I went to a classical concert recently with my parents (my brother refused to join us) after many years, and I found myself enjoying it. Except for the part where they played Debussy. I'm sorry to say, but I don't like his music. My favorite composers are Beethoven, Vivaldi, Mozart and Grieg, so I guess I'm a bit of a traditionalist hehe. 


To end, I'd like to share one of my favorite pieces. The 7th symphony, composed by Beethoven. It's also the music played at the end of "The King's speech", when Colin Firth delivers his speech. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised by that when I was in the cinema :-)

9 comments:

rose water said...

Thanks for this lovely post, sister!! I love classical music too! Even more with the years :) I've played classical music on the violin and piano since 3rd and 4th grade, so I kind of grew up with it, but didn't always like listening to it actually :) I just enjoyed playing it. But now I enjoy both very much.
Thanks for sharing the beautiful Beethoven piece. I like his music very much too, including the ones you mentioned.
I do like Debussy too :) Especially Deux Arabesque http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Qi4jLtigc&feature=related

Others favorites are Tchaikovsky (especilaly Swan Lake and Blumenwalzer :) and Carl Nielsen (especially Aladdin Suite I).

Take care <3

rose water said...

Perhaps you'll enjoy this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7PPPI7sL2k
- It's Aladdin Suite Part I, which contains: Oriental Festive March
Aladdins Dream and Dance of the Morning mist
Hindu Dance

:)

Anonymous said...

Music is haram...just saying.

♥Amal said...

I'm not all that into classical music, but sometimes it's very serene and nice :)

Safiyah said...

@rosewater: Thanks for the pieces, sis :) they are very nice mashaAllah. I have to agree that Deux Arabesque from Debussy is quite nice actually :)
I can't believe I forgot to mention Tchaikovsky, I'm a big fan of his music too! ;-)

@Anonymous: my personal opinion is that music is allowed when the lyrics don't promote things that are forbidden in Islam (alcohol, drugs, swearing etc)and when you are not dancing to it in a mixed environment. I respect your opinion too, though ;-)

@Amal: I agree, it can sound very serene and nice ;-)

Marie said...

Lovely post! I love classical music and learn to appreciate it more and more.
It was one of my grandad's passion and I remember he could stay hours in his armchair listening to the sweet sound of the instruments. He always asked us to put The 9th symphony, composed by Beethoven for his funeral and we did. It was a special moment.
Beethoven is one of my favorite composer but I enjoy classical music in general while I am studying or meditating or just when sitting down with a nice book at home. It brings Peace to my Soul.

Safiyah said...

Thank you, Marie :) May your grandfather rest in peace!

rose water said...

- It's cool you enjoyed Deux Arabesque :)
And as for music being haram, I also hold the same opinion as you dear Safiyah! Personally I think that a lot of music seems to make you remember Allah (swt) and not forget him (which would make it haram, I would say).
I like this quote: "Music is one of the purest and most beautiful creations of God Almighty who set the tone and rhythm of every sound in the universe." They also said: "The sincere Muslim who is following the Quran will not find in the Quran ANY PROHIBITION whatsoever OF MUSIC OR SINGING." (Source: http://www.submission.org/music.html). But I KNOW there are many view-points on this topic... Allahu Alim!!

Marie said...

Thanks Safiyah
And I agree with Rosewater, music talks to the Soul and this way, bring us closer to God.

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment :-)
Please be respectful. I will not publish any comments that put other people down or use bad language.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...