Starting Inevitably with a Poem

{ Sunday, March 13, 2011 }

post from my previous blog http://goldenraindrop.wordpress.com
26 june 2010
Some weeks ago I read an article about the benefits of memorising poems. According to the author, Kim Rosen, words have tremendous power and are able to transform your life.
Personally, I love words and how they can be used to create beauty, and I fully believe that they can be very powerful indeed. So an author so in tune with my thoughts and feelings about the subject, must certainly be right when she advises the memorization of poems. I decided to get started right away. I searched the net and my eyes fell on a poem by Emily Dickinson called “Hope is the Thing with Feathers”. What a most accurate definition of hope she gave, in a most beautiful and touching manner. The poem goes like this:
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
I’ve heard it in the chilliest land
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.
While I absorbed the words and made them a part of me, I came to the conclusion that the author had been right.
Whenever I recited the poem to myself, I was touched by it’s beauty and simplicity, and I felt it lighten up my world. Art and creativity are very important in my life, and it has a huge influence on my mood. If I don’t express myself for a while, I feel all this blocked up energy inside of me, screaming to get out. Poetry is one of my favourite artforms, and touches me deeply.  I write poems myself, because I want and need to do it. It’s my way of expressing myself and it helps me to get to know my own being better.
Now, allow me to elaborate on the subject of that precious poem: hope.
I think hope is a tremendous blessing and strength to people. It’s the driving force behind all things. As long as there is hope, causes are never lost. People can probably take everything away from you, but they can’t take your inner belief, that precious bird that descends upon your soul and is there to stay, no matter how dark the times can be.
Once I learned in psychology class that people should always make a difference between false hope and “justified” hope. For example, if you want to be a famous singer, but you’ve got no talent at all, that would be described as “false” hope, while when you are in possession of a strong, beautiful voice and you’ve got good looks on top of it, then you are “allowed” to dream about it.
I totally disagree. People should always be allowed to hope, to aspire, to dream, no matter how impossible their goal seems. There shouldn’t be a standard that hope  and dreams should live up to. I’m sure many of Martin Luther King’s temporaries would have described his dream as impossible and delusional, but just see what grand changes he made to society! He gave his life for the rights of black people, and such hope, such determination can only create beautiful and powerful results.
Hope doesn’t ask us to feed it, it’s always there, by nature. Even if people don’t see it, or don’t sense it and are lost in desperation, it’s always there, waiting to be seen, and easily reached. Without hope there wouldn’t be life, and life is everywhere around us, so hope is too. I love how the poem describes hope as a bird, because hope can be just as light and just as determined to make the heart fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment :-)
Please be respectful. I will not publish any comments that put other people down or use bad language.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...