My Secret Vice...

{ Sunday, May 1, 2011 }
Sex and the City!


I don't usually tell my Muslim friends this, but I absolutely love to watch the Sex and the City series. I only discovered it recently, since we don't have cable at home. I was in a shop, and they sold the first season on DVD for a low price, so I decided to give it a try. I liked it, really. Ok, it's explicit at times, and I don't usually like to watch it with my parents around, but it's also light, entertaining and it makes me laugh. I've watched all the episodes by now, and I'm watching some again. I'm feeling very fond of the characters, all of them. Sometimes I ask myself why, since their lifestyle is so different. They drink, go out, sleep with boys they're not married to, wear very revealing clothes, etc. But I guess in the end all of that doesn't matter, since they're also women and they are facing problems and experiences that all women face. I'm not implying that the series are oh so deep, but they appeal to me and I don't spend my days wondering why. I also don't feel the need whatsoever to imitate their lifestyles, on the contrary rather. Sometimes I find myself thinking after a particular episode "alhamdulillah that I am Muslim, and that Muslim men still want to get married" hehe.
Anyhows, this was my little confession of the day. Have a wonderful Sunday :-)


Although I didn't like the second movie (for obvious reasons) I did like this song! I think it's very empowering to women (although I don't think the SATC girls are particulary empowered lol)

8 comments:

♥Amal said...

Salaam alaikum,

I love this show too! I know there's some parts I can't really relate to, but there's a lot about relationships in general and life we all can. I liked the show better than the movies, tho. :p

Safiyah said...

I liked the show better too :p I even want to forget the second movie exists lol.

rose water said...

Lol I understand why you like the serie. I guess we can all relate to series about women somehow 'cause underneith all the make-up etc. we all have something in common :)
I haven't really watched this serie actually...but I will someday, I think :) I've enjoyed watching Desperate Housewives a lot!! And actually that serie inspired me in many positive ways -- like enjoying cleaning my house more and cooking too. Lol. And looking good at the same time (for my husband at home) ;)
If you haven't watched Desperate Housewives yet, I hope you will some day :) - and tell me how you liked it.

Safiyah said...

Salaam dear rose water! Good to see you sis! :)

I've watched the DH series too, and really enjoyed them too! :)

Marie said...

Nothing bad at liking it - found it very enjoyable and a good entertainment!!
All women have to face the same challenges and even if ther lifestyle does not suit me I love to follow them on their adventures.
As for the movies, the first one was great. It should have stopped there!

CATGIRL !! said...

Hey dear! I am a female MBA from Karachi, Pakistan. Honestly just browsing through good blogs to find smart writers like you to talk to me on various issues. Nice blog outlook and interesting write-ups. I write on relationships mostly as well as some funny stuff.
I hope u can be a follower if u like my blog? And don’t forget to comment please !! Click on this blog The Emotional Lava

Best of Luck for ur blogging.

Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} said...

I used to watch that show. And you are so right...it's such a vice. For me it was the shoes that would draw me in. lol.

I agree. I am so thankful that I don't live that lifestyle. We all have issues, but life is made harder when sexual issues like theirs start to creep in. For once I would appreciate a realistic episode....someone gets syphilis or HPV....struggles with cervical cancer. As much as I tend to enjoy the show, it bothers me sometimes how it glamorizes promiscuity.

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Safiyah.

Your newest follower. :)

CATGIRL !! said...

m becoming ur follower too safiyah!

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment :-)
Please be respectful. I will not publish any comments that put other people down or use bad language.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...