The thing about Egypt

{ Saturday, October 29, 2011 }
I just had a week of exams, and I really feel I overcame some of my limits. I had to do two presentations, one in Egyptian Arabic, and one in Fusha, and I only had one day each to write them and learn them by heart. I realized how spoiled I have been in my university in Belgium, when we were complaining about only having 3 weeks to do a presentation! The course is definitely more intensive here, and I'm curious to know how my results are. We don't even have vacation right now, and straight after the last exam they gave us homework for Sunday :-/ We will have vacation next week inshaAllah, for Eid. 


My parents will arrive on 3 November to visit me for a week, and I'm looking forward to it. I want to show them around, and it will be nice to have my family around.
My fiance got his visa alhamdullilah and today he will book his flight. He will stay for 3 weeks inshaAllah, and I really really can't wait. He will be here around the same time my parents are, so it's an excellent ocassion for them to meet, and to really get to know each other. My parents have a very negative view about Saudi (and not without reason I might add) so I hope that meeting him will help them to generalise less.


I don't think I could live in Egypt forever. There is no such thing as a quiet morning walk to school. The cars horn just for the fun of it, and it really gets on my nerves so much. They drive inches from your feet, and you have to climb, instead of walk on the sidewalk. In some areas people look at you like you are an alien, just because you're not Egyptian. Men keep saying "welcome to Egypt, what's your name?" while I've been here for over 2 months. The air is really polluted, and I would never walk around with my small children here. I miss the hygiene and quality of Belgian food. 
I know I'm ranting. I'm sure that Egypt is a really nice place for some people, mainly those without sensitive nerves. I'm also lucky that I still live in a relatively quiet neighborhood. I don't want to sound like a snob, but I really don't like to go to wust al-balad (Downtown Cairo). It's not that I can't handle seeing poverty, it's the constant noise, the constant remarks and looks from men, the smell of benzine on and near the bridges. It's just too much for me. 
The good thing about Egypt is that the stores are open much later than I'm used to. I can still do the groceries at 11 pm, which in the beginning felt really odd to me, since most stores in Belgium close at maximum 8 pm. In my next posts, I want to talk more about my experiences here in Egypt, my impressions, and I'll try to be more objective ;-)





5 comments:

This Girl Blogs said...

Aw, I hope your parents and finace have a lovely time there and get to know each other better, inshallah! :D

Anwar said...

You reminded me of the time I spent there two years ago. I used not to like probably all the things that you don't like. I remember once I took a cab around 2:00 in the morning. The man driving the car used the horn few times, while there was nothing around!! That shows me that many of them just like the sound of it.

This is my first comment here, although I've been reading your blog for a while now. I hope your parents will like it there, and that they will also like your fiance too.

MarieHarmony said...

Glad to read you Safiyah! I am sure Cairo is pretty busy and without having visited the place I am sure it is not a city I would like to live in........anyway too far from the SEA for me!

It's nice your parents are visiting you, you'll have a nice time and you'll be able to show them around - I remember the first time my family visited me in Ireland. It was really nice.
And your Fiance will be there too, it's definitely good news. I am so happy for you.
Looking forward seeing more of Cairo soon!

Stay well my dear friend. xxx

DD said...

For some reason i had thought you were in KSA, not Egypt :S :P Can't wait to hear of your experiences there, inshaAllah :)

Londoneya Eyan said...

I'm laughing at "you have to climb the pavements" because it's so true! It's one of the things I miss dearly in London, pavements. :) I'm really pleased to read your posts about Egypt, makes me feel that I'm not alone with my feelings about this chaotic, but magical, country.

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment :-)
Please be respectful. I will not publish any comments that put other people down or use bad language.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...