Update

{ Wednesday, October 5, 2011 }
I just realised that I have completely neglected this blog, as well as the private one. It's just so busy here! I have tons of homework and when I'm finished with that, I'm either on skype talking to my loved ones, or being a zombie in front of the TV. I also feel like I've completely lost inspiration, and don't know which topics to discuss. I'm planning on updating my private blog more regularly, making it more like a diary. I feel a bit weary about doing that here because I don't know who will read it.

I have this strong feeling that I want to start writing on a story. I need to write! But I don't know where to find the time or the inspiration. I so want to be a writer, filling my time with writing stories and columns. I'm sure I'm not the only one however, and a story is not going to write itself, unless I get a flash of inspiration in the train (or more like taxi in my case) like what happened to JK Rowling.

I'm practising Islam again. If I focus solely on the spiritual side, like prayer, listening to Quran, and dhikr, I'm doing fine. It's just that when I get into some problematic issues like polygamy or women's rights that it starts to get tricky. But in the end, I don't think anyone can really know what the Prophet (pbuh) would say or do if he lived today, and not in the 7th Century. Maybe some aspects of Islam would look different, I don't know. I don't believe that every rule in Islam was supposed to be universal and for all times, but that's just my opinion. It's possible that if the Prophet lived today, he wouldn't have married more than one wife or allowed polygamy, who knows.

I've decided I will write my thesis paper about islamic feminism in Egypt. Of course I still need to limit my subject a bit, but that's for later lol.

Much love,

Safiyah

4 comments:

The Linoleum Surfer said...

Make sure you share the thesis, I'm sure it would be fascinating to read! :)

Safiyah said...

The thesis is in Dutch, I'm afraid, although we have to write a summary in Arabic ;)

MarieHarmony said...

Would have loved to read it too! Unfortunately I can't speak dutch, not yet............Happy to see you are back to your daily practice, in my opinion Islam is much more than agreeing with every aspect and laws written.
Read you very soon. Take care Safiyah and always remember you are in my thoughts and prayers. xx

Banana Anne said...

Oh, you should definitely start writing a story! I really wish I had more time/inspiration to write one; they're just so much fun and a great way to channel creative energy.

Alhamdulillah, I'm glad to hear that you've made peace with Islam. What you're doing sounds totally fine; as long as you believe in and practice the five pillars, I think you're good to go Insha'Allah. There really are so many different interpretations of the meaning of the Qur'an, and all we can do is say Allahu 'Alim and practice what we think is best and most pleasing to Allah.

I'm excited to hear more from you!

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment :-)
Please be respectful. I will not publish any comments that put other people down or use bad language.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...