I'm still going to celebrate Christmas

{ Thursday, December 22, 2011 }
I never really understood the requirement that a convert should leave Christmas behind all together, and not even visit his/her family on that day. 
I think it all depends on your intention. If you are going to celebrate the birth of "the Son of God", yes then we have a problem. As a Muslim, I mean, since that's not part of the Islamic belief. But my family never celebrated Christmas for that reason. Sometimes we went to church, but certainly not every year. Christmas is a time when my family comes together, and they don't even mention Prophet Jesus. We all go to my aunt's house, where we have dinner together. There is a quiz that my grandfather organises and a tombola, with small gifts for everyone.We talk about our lives and make jokes. I don't see a problem with that. Family is very important in Islam, so I don't see what's wrong in joining in. It's also a period of light when the winter makes everything cold and dark, and I've always quite enjoyed the atmosphere. I think you just make the gap between you and your family wider if you refuse to spend that special time with them. That's just my opinion anyway. 


Of course, this year, I won't be there, since I'm in Egypt. But I'm still going to have a special dinner with friends.   To me it's a time for bonding and being grateful for the friends and family you have. It's a time to think about what you have achieved this year before you celebrate the new year. It has very little to do with a specific religion. I'm certain that God will not punish me for sharing these moments with the people who are close to me. 

3 comments:

vimari said...

you have a right. i guess like you! i am only one person in family, who are muslim, so it is normal that i celebrate xtmas. btw, i love this time. many polish muslims dont accept my way, but it is they problem! i love my christian family - and they are most important for me, no other people.

i cant wish u marry xtmas, but i wish u great meets with friends.

xoxo, vimari.

MarieHarmony said...

First post I read that brings joy to my heart Safiyah. Thanks, I think family is so important that time with them is precious.
Wishing you a great time with your friend. I think this period of the year is as well a time to rejoice and share. At the end of the day what matters most is Love. Take care

Safiyah said...

Dear Vimari, I completely agree with you, and I think you are very brave for following your own opinion :)

Dear Marie, thank you for the compliment :) I wish you a great time too!

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment :-)
Please be respectful. I will not publish any comments that put other people down or use bad language.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...