How to restore your imaan

{ Friday, February 17, 2012 }
Assalaamu aleykum :)


As a "low imaan" survivor, I thought I would share with you some things that have helped me to regain my imaan, alhamdulillah.


1. Make it your intention
The most important thing is of course your intention to work on your imaan. I've had my intention for a couple of days while I did nothing, until it finally developed into a seed that pushed me to study my religion again, and to try to live up to its obligations. Make it your intention to find out for yourself, to stop reading criticism on Islam for a while, and to find good sources that will help you in your understanding of this simple yet complex and beautiful religion. 


2. Pray
Even if it's only once a day, do your best to pray. Ask God for guidance, ask Him to make you a better Muslim. Ask for His forgiveness and Mercy. If you start by praying once a day, do your best to increase your prayers slowly but steadily until you are ready to pray five times a day again. Remember, trying to do everything at once is not the best path. Take babysteps. God loves consistency, even if it's in something little. Try to make sure you can keep it up. 


3. Pray the Sunnah prayers
You can pick out a day for yourself where you intend to pray your fard prayers and the Sunnah ones. I have to admit it can be a bit exhausting if you are not used to it, but it does wonders for your imaan. :) What I try to do now, is to pray the sunnah prayer before fajr, until I'm used to that, and then do the sunnah prayer after maghreb until I'm used to that, and I try to build it up until I'm used to praying all my Sunnah prayers every day. This is a goal I've set for myself. The confirmed Sunnah prayers are:


2 raka'at before your Fajr prayer


4 raka'at before your Dhuhr prayer and 2 after


none before or after asr


2 raka'at after your maghreb prayer


2 raka'at after your isha prayer


There are also other forms of Sunnah prayer. You can find a list here (if you scroll down to the 4th post, inshaAllah)


4. Read and listen to Quran
When I started to pray regularly again, I found that my heart was so much more sensitive to the beautiful words of the Quran. If you don't know Arabic, find a translation that is clear, yet tries to preserve some of the beauty of the Quran. A good site is  http://www.quranexplorer.com/Quran/Default.aspx  , where you can listen to your favorite reciter and choose between different translations. 


5. Stop listening to music for a while
Although I'm not convinced that all music is haraam, it can be beneficial to stop listening to music entirely for a week or so, and instead only listen to Quran and anasheed. I found that it heightened my sensitivity to the beauty of Islam a lot. I still listen to classical music and music with "clean" lyrics (unless when I'm forced to listen to my brother's music), but I'm trying to reduce it a little, because listening to Quran should be our priority. 


6. Spend time with your Muslim friends
Unfortunately, I don't see my Muslim friends that much, but when I do, I always get an imaan boost. It really is important to surround ourselves by people who are beneficial to our imaan, even role models, who are further in practising Islam than we are, and who encourage us to improve.
If you don't have any Muslim friends in your direct area, you can always watch podcasts of Muslim scholars, which are very beneficial too. 


7. Set goals for yourself
Always try to improve. Stagnation can be detrimental to our imaan. Congratulate yourself when you have learned a sura, did your five prayers, listened to Quran etc., but don't stop. Always set a new goal for yourself. For example, my goals for the moment are: read the Quran in chronological order, Learn to pray the sunnah prayers every day and learn sura al-mulk by heart. When I've achieved those goals, I will find other ones, inshaAllah. I'm doing my best to not stagnate. 


8. Learn and read about Islam every day
There are so many beneficial books, sites and videos about Islam out there.
One of my favorites at the moment are:







  • Nye's Channel on Youtube
    She and a sister named Rebecca have some really great videos about Islam, with tips on how to pray 5 times a day, how to achieve praying your sunnah prayers every day, how to make dawah in the workplace, what to do when your parents aren't Muslim, how to give advice the Islamic way etc. May Allah swt reward them for their efforts!
I hope this post was beneficial! If you have any other ideas or good sources of information, feel free to post them in the comments section! :)
May Allah swt bless us all and keep us in the best state of Imaan, ameen!


“Nothing endears My servant to Me than doing of what I have made obligatory upon him to do. And My servant continues to draw nearer to Me with the supererogatory (nawafil) so that I shall love him. When I love him, I shall be his hearing with which he shall hear, his sight with which he shall see, his hands with which he shall hold, and his feet with which he shall walk. And if he asks (something) of Me, I shall surely give it to him, and if he takes refuge in Me, I shall certainly grant him it.” (Bukhari)








8 comments:

truth said...

assalamu alaikum sister.

Masha Allah nice post.
when someone asks to show their sincerety to deen,they would write something like this post..

May allah reward you for your efforts.

Insha Allah and Aameen

truth said...

salam again.
just now, someone has shared the following awesome video with me on islam and prophet (s a w s)..there are clips from various scholors including brother suhaib web inspiring us to strengthen our Eemaan.

bosnishmuslima said...

Dear Safiyah,

very nice post. Mashaallah for your boost on iman! Am very happy for you after your ups and downs that you found the right direction alhamdulillah. May Allsh swt. bless you always and let us all stay on the right path inshaallah!
xoxo

truth said...

salam again.(sorry,forgot to mention the LINK)
just now, someone has shared the following awesome video with me on islam and prophet (s a w s)..there are clips from various scholors including brother suhaib web inspiring us to strengthen our Eemaan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGfRNItUCic

New Wife said...

mashaAllah tabarak Allah what a great post!

jazakillah khair thank you, i think this is an issue that affects everyone at some point, and even if we feel we are doing ok it is good to be reminded of things like this just in case.

New Wife said...

Also Safiyah, how do you join the class? How does the class work? I'm interested in signing up, but want to know what kind of format it has and the process and everything. Thanks!

Safiyah said...

Truth, thank you for your nice words and thanks for the link! :)

Bosnishmuslima: ameen! :) Thanks for your support and kindness! Hope you are doing well!

New wife, barakAllah feeki! :)
This is the first class I'll follow on that site, inshaAllah. All I know is that you have to register yourself on that site, and then you have to push "enter class" on the link I gave :) I think it will be an audio class, or maybe video, I'm not sure :p It's only one evening, and the class lasts 160 min, inshaAllah. Hope this helps ;)

Safiyah said...

Oh and it starts at 6pm roman time (which is UTC + 1). You can check here for your time ;) http://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment :-)
Please be respectful. I will not publish any comments that put other people down or use bad language.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...