No black or white for me

{ Thursday, March 29, 2012 }
Assalaamu aleykum,

I know I've been guilty of it too in the past, but I'm getting tired of these black and white explanations to motivate beliefs and arguments. 
For example, always using singers and models as an example of the ills of the dunya. Yes, there are superficial people out there, who are dependent on their looks and money, but not every non-Muslim is like that. I have some non-Muslim friends who are very deep, and have very interesting passions that go way beyond looks, money or vanity. I understand that Muslim speakers use it as an example of the fact that being superficial can lead to a lot of hurt, but lately I feel it has been over-used. It's almost like it's superficial people vs. the Muslims. I agree, there is a lesson to be learned in how all things pass us by and nothing remains the same, but not only Muslims have come to this conclusion. 

Second, the headscarf and modesty. There are not only tramps and veiled, modest women out there. There is a whole spectrum in between. If you look around you, in the West, as well as in some Muslim countries, you will see that each woman has defined her own modesty and boundaries. Some women are fine with wearing very short clothes, while others would never dream of wearing a short skirt. You don't have to wear a headscarf to be modest. And the headscarf doesn't guaranty it either. You can wear a scarf on your head, but if you wear short or tight clothes underneath, it's not hijaab.
 I still think that in my society, too much importance is placed on looks and how "sexy" a woman is. But that doesn't mean every girl falls for it, Muslim or not. I wear headscarf because I believe it's pleasing to God, and it adds to my modesty. It's a struggle against my own nafs sometimes, because of the general opinion about hijaab. But I don't believe it makes me any more or less than a non-veiled woman. We all have our own struggles and path in life, and the key to make it work is to allow for shades of grey. Tolerance. Respect. Seeing the good in others and remaining humble. Having a sound heart and to not feel any superiority over others, because that is like drinking poison. 

Beyond good and evil, there is a field. I'll meet you there.

- Rumi


6 comments:

MarieHarmony said...

I like to stand in the shades of grey too. Very interesting post Safiyah.I read a lot of things like this these days and it seems the world divides between good and bad, that's it. Rumi's quote resumes so beautifully your mindset.

You write well you know, you should definitely think about a guest post for my blog! You have a beautiful heart Safiyah, don't let anybody say something different to you.
Take care dear. xx

Safiyah said...

Thank you for your sweet words, Marie =) I'm willing to do a guest post if you tell me what it should be about :p You take care too, hun, and stay well! xxx

Almost a Muslimah said...

hear, hear sista! well written and I just couldn't agree more with the content :) loved Rumi's quote at the end :)

hope you are staying well despite difficult days hun! muchos love! xoxo

Safiyah said...

Good to hear from you, almost =) Thanks! I hope you are staying well too! We need to catch up soon! xxx

Becky said...

I really enjoyed this post as well, and I couldn't agree more.

Safiyah said...

Thanks Becky =) Take care xxx

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment :-)
Please be respectful. I will not publish any comments that put other people down or use bad language.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...