Why should I stay loyal to you?

{ Friday, March 9, 2012 }
Dear culture,

Why should I stay loyal to you?
 Have you not told me lies since I was born? Have you not tried to convince me time and time again that my worth depended only on my looks? Have I not suffered for it in primary school, and again in high school, because I wasn't popular and sexy enough?

Tell me, what do you have to offer me?
Yes, I value freedom of speech like you do, but I don't appreciate the right to insult whomever you like. To me, respect is still a keyword, and has not yet been erased from my dictionary.
You claim to stand firm against discrimination, yet Muslims don't count to you as worthy citizens and are reduced to a second-class status. You find ways to defend yourself, and you don't realise how you take away my rights as a human being.
You claim to be superior to all other civilizations, and you think you have them all figured out. Wasn't it Socrates, one of your ancestors, who said "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
But I know that you are not the one to admit your shortcomings. You like boasting, rivalry, greed and dividing people. Your favorite saying is "the end justifies the means." Do you blame me for taking a step back and looking at you with suspicion? Do you blame me for trying to find something more meaningful and humane?
Yes, you have your virtues. As your daughter I'll be the first to appreciate them. Yet your flaws, invisible to many, have become so apparent to me over the years that I don't feel the need to stay loyal anymore. I'll stay Western, of course, but with the help of God, I'll follow a path that encourages me to respect my body and my worth. I know I won't have your support, but I'll learn to look past that. Instead of trying so hard to please men, I'll cover my body from their sight and be beautiful to God. Instead of seeking my worth in doing the same things as men and seeing them as the standard, I'll celebrate my distinctiveness and find my worth in my own femininity.
I know that covering my head is heresy to you, and I'll have to fight for my own worth. I know you won't like me anymore, and that we'll end up being only acquaintances. I don't feel sorry.  Maybe one day we'll be able to greet each other as old friends, when you have learned that not all what glitters is gold. Until then I say be at peace and may God guide you to the straight path!


8 comments:

New Wife said...

ameen

beautiful sister mashaAllah. it is something that i think all muslimahs in the "west" can identify with. especially those of us who came from non-muslim backgrounds and see this behavior in our closest family members.

SS said...

Assalamu alaikum sister.
Masha allah,One of the best posts.
May Allah always be with you and grant you jannah for your efforts.

ummukhalid said...

Salam sister, may Allah gives you the strength to stay istiqomah to lead the Islamic way of life. At the same time may Allah also grant you the sabr or patience in dealing with your loved ones, InsyAllah!

Nikki said...

masha'Allah, beautiful post. :)

Safiyah said...

Thank you, New Wife :)

Safiyah said...

Ameen! Thank you :)

Safiyah said...

Ameen, ummukhalid! Thank you for your duaa :)

Safiyah said...

Thank you Nikki =)

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment :-)
Please be respectful. I will not publish any comments that put other people down or use bad language.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...