Mass-media: good or bad?

{ Thursday, May 3, 2012 }
Assalaamu aleykum,


Recently I've been wondering if it's really beneficial for us to watch TV every day, especially the News. The thing is, they only ever report the bad things that happen in the world, and it gives a rather depressing view of the state of things. I know that media and communication is an important tool in producing change, by the means of awareness, petitions etc., and we shouldn't close our eyes for what happens in the world. But I'm an emphatic being, and my emotions really get twisted in a knot watching all these tragedies unfolding. It makes me depressed, and I just get this feeling that humankind is doomed, and that our hardships will never end. Injustice makes me angry, yet I can't do anything with these powerful feelings, because it's not in my hands. I can pray and give charity, maybe post some things on Facebook, but I don't get this empowered feeling that I can actually change something. Sometimes I think it's better to turn off the news, and to remember the world in our prayers. I believe it's better to send healing, than to have angry and sad thoughts about how there is no hope. Maybe I can't change anything in Syria, for example, but I can change things in my immediate environment, by being kind, warm and helping towards others. Maybe we should spent the energy we invest now in being sad and angry upon watching the News, on being there for the world around us: family, friends, acquaintances, nature,...Because if everyone would take this approach, maybe we can finally make a change. 


Sometimes I think the media wants to make us afraid, by constantly reminding us of the economic recession and all the other hardships of this life. Maybe it's a self-fulfilling prophecy: always talking about the economic recession, and the more people believe in it, the realer it will get. Or about the political problems we face. The list goes on, but there isn't anything positive on it. 


All this energy that gets invested in bringing negativity towards others, how can it be healthy? Why can't the news be more like: "Syria is in a bad state, but we can really make a change together. Please write towards your MP's, remember the country in your prayers, give money to organisations who can help. We can really make a change!" Instead it's more like: "Today there was another bombardment, the UN isn't doing anything, the country is doomed". I feel its very purpose is to make us feel powerless and desentisised to human tragedies. People are chatting, making jokes, reading magazines, while the news of yet another death goes by unnoticed. 


Don't become desentisised! Turn off the News, get on your knees and send your love towards those in need of it: everyone. Even send your love to Asad, the president of Syria, so that his frozen heart might melt, and he'll wake up and realise what he's doing to his people! We need more love, not more tragedy and violence! Share your money with the needy, and be a light in the lives of others. Don't let your energy be tapped away by messages of fear and hopelessness. There is always hope, always a light at the end of the tunnel! 


Allahu akbar
Allahu akbar
Allahu akbar.
God is greater!



8 comments:

bosnishmuslima said...

These are exactly the reasons why I stopped watching TV three years ago :)

Sui generis Writer said...

Similar thoughts come across my mind when I notice the abundance of news/reports shown negatively or the over emphasis on all that is going wrong around the world. It is for a fact that we tend to be attracted towards negative rather easily than the positives. All the news that goes viral these days, make me believe that humanity is on the verge of destruction.

You have brought up a valid point. It is better to start thinking and acting in a manner which will benefit us and our surroundings up to a point that the world would be enabled to improve it's state.

Let the peace prevail!

Muslim Butterfly said...

I don't watch television much. The media of course is set against all minorities. Just be aware that life is full of prejudices and we can't always hide from what is there, but maybe see what we need to help correct in other people's understanding of things.

Dana said...

Assalamu Alaykum waRahmatullahi waBarakatuh sister,

There are some things which I agree with you about in your post. Watching news sometimes gets a person depressed, because most of it is bad but so was the times of old, when something had happened they were as one body and they would feel the hurt of others, this is why they were more closer - they put their trust in Allah, and they worked together, this has faded nowadays. In anyway, it's not a bad thing at all, feeling for others is also our duty, we must at least ask about them, read a little about them, as I hardly watch TV, but my mother always tells me whats happening and I always like to know...insha'Allah...We need to know what's happening in our time of Era, because if we close our eyes all the time we might be blind to the events of the future. It depresses me sometimes, and really what I can do is make a Dua which helps my heart to calm down... that doesn't mean your not allowed to enjoy yourself of what Allah has provided for us :) of course you can, you have to be grateful. There is a balance in life, and I hope that I can achieve that criterion and balance , the same goes for my brothers and sisters around the world.

I do not want to close my eyes and heart , I'm the type who really loves Justice. I'm hoping for a day to come when Justice will rise, and we need a Khilafah. Always pray for this insha'Allah...and I have to say you cannot give love to an oppressor who kills his own people in such a way, but spill words of wisdom and if they attack you , you attack them, a warrior in heart and soul for the sake of God and not for worldly gains - jihad is written as lawful in the Quran... Pharaoh was an example of an oppressor, and Moses mission too. We must always stand up against evil, because Allah loves the strong Mu'min and not the weak, if we keep being kind to evil then how is Justice ever going to win ? Allah is testing which one of us are best in conduct.

We cannot escape the troubles, except by surrendering to God with prayers and supplications, being humble with Love and a devotee, instead I call it being free from such world...this way you can also spread love around you... Prophet Muhammad (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “The similitude of believers in regard to mutual love, affection, fellow-feeling is that of one body; when any limb of it aches, the whole body aches, because of sleeplessness and fever.” [Muslim].... Allah's plan is always better, and there will be a day when the believers as one will inherit the earth, because Allah never ever leaves Oppression in this earth...

May Allah ease the trials of the suffering Muslims around the world, the poor, the innocent prisoners, and especially the Syrians ameen...

Safiyah said...

Thank you all for your thoughts =)x

MarieHarmony said...

Safiyah I did it I am not watching the news anymore, it's too much for me and I don't want to spend my time struggling and in pain. Maybe it's not the solution but for now it does it.
I think you read or are reading "Eat Pray Love". At some stage Liz ask Ketut :"So what can we do about the craziness of the world" and he answers:"Nothing. this is nature of world. This is destiny. Worry about your craziness only - make you in peace".

It is what I am searching now, my peace and the world in turmoil does not help me finding it. But offering prayers for it does and it is what matters, in my opinion.

Stay well dear. xx

Safiyah said...

I'm reading Eat Pray Love, but I'm still in India ;) Nice quote! I avoid the news to be honest, but my parents watch it so sometimes I can't help but overhearing. It has a very negative effect on me, and I think I need to cut it out of my life to find peace. Take care, dear! x

DD said...

I think it's still important to know what's going on in the world, especially in the Ummah, even if it is a one-sided version of what's going on in the world. Just try to filter out the facts from the rubbish if possible. It also makes it easier knowing that whatever happens is as Allah (swt) wills :) To be satisfisfied with the decree and divine preordainment of Allah (swt) makes life a whole lot easier to deal with.

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment :-)
Please be respectful. I will not publish any comments that put other people down or use bad language.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...